Saturday 1 October 2011

Tweak a little, change a lot

This was the title of an article in October's edition of Red magazine that I identified with a lot. The theory is that huge goals are too overwhelming and we give up before we've even started or soon after. Small changes can have a much more permanent impact on our lives. Small actions of doing things differently makes a change much less painful and achievable.

This completely mirrors my decision to get to the gym at work twice a week. I could have gone mad and made myself go every day but I didn't. I was realistic and now I've managed it for 3 weeks already I know I can manage it going forwards. Also with my study Friday, I allow myself to fit in errands that I don't have time for in the week so that I can start the weekend in a more relaxed manner. I still manage to fit in 4 hours study which is great. I think if I'd tried to make my self do 8 I wouldn't have stuck to it and instead of being chuffed with 4, I'd feel like I'd failed.

So as the article promises, I'm dead chuffed! The enjoyment you get from the success you have spurs you on to make another small step and before you know it you've moved on to challenge something else too and changed your world significantly. Eek, hope I don't turn into a fitness freek. I haven't got time for that. There's study to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment